This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure
Are you looking for inspirational road trip quotes and captions? You’re in the right place! Road trips are a great way to explore the world around you, create lasting memories, and disconnect from the stresses of daily life. Whether you’re travelling with friends, family, or solo, a road trip can be one of the most exciting adventures you can have.
These road trip quotes and road trip captions are perfect for sharing on Instagram, Facebook and other social media or for adding to your travel journal as you continue on your journey!
Inspirational Road Trip Quotes & Captions
These road trip quotes and long drive caption inspiration are the perfect way to express the best parts of road-tripping, with shareable images too! You will be inspired to start loading up the car for your next adventure in no time!
You are welcome to share any of these quote images on social media. Don’t forget to tag us as @fouraroundtheworld.
Here are some of the best road trip quotes and road trip captions to inspire your next adventure:
Short Road Trip Quotes & Captions
These short road trip quotes are perfect when you’re looking for road trip captions for Instagram or funny road trip slogans to create your own t-shirt or mug. Sometimes you can say a lot in just a few words and these quotes are the perfect examples of this:
1. “Sometimes the best therapy is a long drive with good music.”
And in case you don’t already have a wickedly awesome road trip playlist, you can grab our best road trip songs list, which includes a link to the Spotify playlist too!
2. “On the road again.”
3. “Good vibes and open roads.”
4. “Oh the places you’ll go!” – Dr. Seuss
5. “Life is a highway.”
6. “I take to the open road. Healthy, free, the world before me.” – Walt Whitman
7. “It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “The open road is the ultimate canvas, and a road trip is the perfect way to paint your own adventure.”
9. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”
8. “The best way to escape the ordinary is to hit the open road and embrace the extraordinary.”
This is one of my favourite road trip quotes on the list. I am passionate about being intentional with my time and crave those extraordinary moments that can be built in amongst the ordinary.
11. “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.” – Scott Myers
12. “You can be writing every day. When you go on a road trip, the trip itself becomes part of the story.” – Steve Rushin
14. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
15. “Not all who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
16. “All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.” – Jack Kerouac
17. “Life is fleeting, and so is time. Take that spontaneous road trip while you still can.”
Some of our all-time favourite family trips have been road trips. Our top 3 would have to be the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, taking a campervan through New Zealand’s South Island and our 10 days spent exploring Western Australia.
Although that’s a trip we need much more time for as there are so many more beautiful places in Western Australia we haven’t been to!
18. “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.”
19. “Life is too short to stay in one place.”
20. “Taking the scenic route.”
21. “Wanderlust and highway dust.”
22. “Happiness is a full tank of gas and an open road.”
23. “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous, and absolutely liberating.” – Aaron Lauritsen
24. “Road trips aren’t measured by mile markers, but by moments.”
25. “Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.” – Byrd Baggett
Quotes About Road Trips With Friends
Road trips with friends are where some of the best memories are made! These road trip quotes with friends are all about acknowledging how the path less travelled can sometimes forge the deepest friendships!
26. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.”– Tim Cahill
27. “Adventures are better with friends.”
In case you need some fun along the drive, try these road trip conversation starters and road trip trivia questions. Or check out more fun road trip game ideas to get everyone laughing!
28. “Life is meant for good friends and great adventures.”
29. “Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.” – Izaak Walton
30. “A road trip isn’t always about the destination. It’s about the journey. It’s about discovering new things and learning more about the world and the people around you.”
31. “Some roads aren’t meant to be traveled alone.” – Chinese Proverb
32. “Got my snacks, got my friends, got my music. Road trip ready.”
Do you have your road trip snacks planned? Grab our road trip meal planner printable and a list of food ideas to help you prepare!
33. “It doesn’t matter where you are going. It’s who you have beside you.”
34. “No road is long with good company.” – Turkish Proverb
35. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
“36. Happiness is… a car, the open road, and a best friend.”
37. “We all have that one friend who is either on a road trip or planning a road trip or thinking about a road trip or talking to people who are on a road trip or posting quotes about a road trip.” – Crestless Wave
Funny Road Trip Quotes
Funny road trip quotes make great slogans for t-shirts and handmade gifts if you’re feeling creative. These funny road trip captions for Instagram are also great when you want to share the moments that make you laugh with friends and family.
38. “Not all who wander are lost, some are just taking the scenic route.”
39. “I’d rather be lost on the road than in life.”
40. “RV there yet?”
41. “If you’re on a road trip, you need driving music.” -Edgar Wright
42. “Road trip hair, don’t care.”
43. “Are we there yet?”
44. “In 1903 the Wright brothers invented airplanes, because in 1902 they took a road trip across the country with their family.” – Bill Engvall
45. “That’s why I love road trips, dude. It’s like doing something without actually doing anything.” – John Green
46. “Road trips require a couple of things: a well-balanced diet of caffeine, salt and sugar, and an excellent set of tunes – oh, and directions.” – Jenn McKinlay
47. “A bend in the road, is not the end of the road….unless you fail to make the turn.” – Helen Keller
48. “We’re going on an ad-van-ture!”
We love doing campervan trips sometimes and one day we will buy our own caravan or campervan. But for now, if you’re looking for a budget campervan option, Jucy Vans are great!
49. “Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.” – Jerry Seinfeld
50. “On a road trip, be back never.”
51. “Well, we’re not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here.”– Thelma & Louise
52. “A tourist is a fellow who drives thousands of miles so he can be photographed standing in front of his car.”– Emile Ganest
Family Road Trip Quotes
Road trips with family can be some of the best memories to look back on. They are our favourite type of trip to take as a family since you can be spontaneous and stop wherever your heart desires.
These quotes about family road trips are a great way to reflect on those little moments that capture our hearts, as we explore new roads and destinations along the way.
53. “Travel sparks our imagination, feeds our curiosity, and reminds us how much we all have in common.” – Deborah LLoyd
54. “There are no perfect parents and there are no perfect children, but there are plenty of perfect moments along the way.” – Dave Willis
This is another favourite! This could not be more true and travel with kids definitely brings out those moments of imperfection in all of us, but also those moments that could not be more perfect if we tried!
55. “A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting and new places.” – Tom Lichtenheld
56. “Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion.” – Leigh Hunt
57. “A long road trip is not just a journey from one point to another, but a journey of self-discovery. It’s a time to reflect, connect, and create unforgettable memories with the people you love.”
58. “The best education you will ever get is traveling. Nothing teaches you more than exploring the world and accumulating experiences.” – Mark Paterson
59. “The greatest legacy we can leave our children is happy memories.” – Og Mandino
60. “Kids don’t remember their best day of television but always remember their best day on the road.”
Make your family road trips a little easier with these road trip activities and games for kids and tips for long drives with kids.
Quotes About Roads And Journeys
It wouldn’t be a good collection of quotes on long drives if we don’t include some quotes about roads and journeys in the mix!
These long drive quotes are perfect road trip captions for Instagram or Facebook, when you don’t have the right words to express the feeling you get when you’re on the open road.
61. “Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself.” – Stacy Westfall
62. “The journey, not the arrival, matters.” – T.S. Eliot
63. “Roads were made for journeys, not destinations.” – Confucius
64. “Map out your future – but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.” – Jon Bon Jovi
65. “I climb behind the steering wheel… I drive off immediately without once looking back. It’s a long journey but it leads to freedom.” – Corinne Hofmann
66. “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.” – Emma Chase
One of the best things about road trips is all the unexpected stuff along the way. The stops you weren’t planning to make, the mishaps and those magic moments that will never be forgotten. That’s what always has us planning our next trip even before the current trip is over.
67. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
68. “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.” – Brad Paisley
69. “A road trip is a perfect way to escape the mundane and embrace the unknown. It’s an adventure waiting to unfold, where every mile brings new experiences and every turn offers new opportunities.”
70. “A long road trip is like a book with many chapters. Each mile tells a different story, each turn reveals a new chapter, and each destination offers a unique ending. It’s up to us to write our own adventure and make every chapter unforgettable.”
This is so true! Those chapters won’t write themselves but how exciting to watch those pages fill.
71. “A long road trip is not just about the destination, but the journey along the way. It’s about discovering new places, meeting new people, and experiencing different cultures that enrich our lives.”
72. “Now, on this road trip, my mind seemed to uncrinkle, to breathe, to present to itself a cure for a disease it had not, until now, known it had.” – Elizabeth Berg
73. “On a road trip, the journey is the reward. It’s a chance to disconnect from distractions and reconnect with nature, to savour the sights, sounds, and smells of the open road and to appreciate the beauty of the world around us.”
74. “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin” – Tony Robbins
75. “The open road is a beckoning, a strangeness, a place where a man can lose himself.”- William Least Heat Moon
76. “Look for chances to take the less-traveled roads. There are no wrong turns.” – Susan Magsamen
77. “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to make.” – Angela N Blount
78. Sometimes, the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to – it’s not for them.” – Joubert Botha
79. “I just go with the flow, I follow the yellow brick road. I don’t know where it’s going to lead me, but I follow it.”– Grace Jones
The best part of a road trip for me is always those times when you spot something interesting and decide to stop and discover something really special you wouldn’t have otherwise seen!
80. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move” – Robert Louis Stevenson
81. “Embarking on a road trip is a dangerous business, but the rewards of adventure and self-discovery make it a risk worth taking.”
82. “Roads are a record of those who have gone before.” – Rebecca Solnit
83. “I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.” – Paulo Coelho
84. “You Can’t Find The Right Roads When The Streets Are Paved.”– Bob Marley
85. “Road trips are the equivalent of human wings. Ask me to go on one, any one. We’ll stop in every small town and learn the history and the stories, feel the ground, and capture the spirit. Then we’ll turn it into our own story, that will live inside our history to carry with us. Always. Because stories are more important than things.” – Victoria Erickson
Road Trip Quotes From Movies
Sometimes you get a lot of wisdom from the films we watch and characters we fall in love with. There have been many great journeys taken in movies and here are some great quotes that deserve to be remembered!
86. “Fifty years from now, when you’re looking back at your life, don’t you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?” – Transformers
87. “I want an adventure in the great wide somewhere.” – Belle, Beauty & The Beast
88. “The world is not in your books and maps, it’s out there.” – Gandalf, The Hobbit
89. “According to the map, we’ve only gone four inches.”– Dumb & Dumber
90. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” – Bilbo Baggins, Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
91. “Some journeys take us far from home. Some adventures lead us to our destiny.” – The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
92. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Dumbledore, Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone.
93. “The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.” – John Connor, Terminator 2: Judgement Day
94. “It’s not the destination so much as the journey, they say.” – Jack Sparrow, Pirates Of The Caribbean
95. “I live my life a quarter mile at a time” – Dom Toretto, Fast And The Furious
96. “I love waking up in the morning not knowing what’s gonna happen or who I’m gonna meet, where I’m gonna wind up.” – Jack Dawson, Titanic
97. “Seatbelts save lives. Buckle up, every time.” – Baymax, Big Hero 6
98. “Sometimes all you need is a great friend and a tank of gas.” – Thelma & Louise
99. “Just grab a friend and take a ride, together upon the open road.” – The Goofy Movie
100. “On this journey that you’re making, there’ll be answers that you’ll seek. And it’s you who’ll climb the mountain. It’s you who’ll reach the peak.” – Tarzan
Right now you’re either cruising down the open road, looking for the perfect caption for your road trip photo to share on Instagram, or you’re daydreaming about where you’d rather be! We hope it’s the first one!
For more travel quotes check these out: