This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure
These dutch oven recipes for camping are the perfect way to cook a delicious meal after a busy day of outdoor fun. The best thing about these dutch oven camping recipes is that they’re easy to make.
If you’re looking for the perfect meal for your next camping trip, look no further! We share ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as some yummy dutch oven desserts for your next adventure outdoors.
What Is A Dutch Oven?
A Dutch oven is a heavy cast iron pot with two short handles that can be used for cooking food over an open fire.
The lid of the dutch oven sometimes has a small hole in it to let some steam escape while still keeping the heat and moisture inside.
Dutch ovens are great because they make evenly cooked meals and one of the best things is they can be used at home as well.
Dutch ovens are traditionally made of cast iron, which makes them heavy and durable, so you can use your dutch oven for years to come!
They make one pot cooking from campfire or stove top to dinner table easy.
Grab our free camping meal planner here:
The Best Dutch Oven For Camping
If you’re looking to purchase a Dutch oven for camping, there are many different sizes and different price points available.
The key is finding one that’s the right size for your needs. It should be big enough to cook enough servings of food for your family.
Le Creuset is a popular dutch oven for use at home, but for something a little more camp-friendly, there are plenty of heavy duty cast iron options without enamel coating.
If you’re going camping by yourself or with just one other person, a pot that’s big enough for two people is ideal for outdoor cooking.
If you plan on cooking for everyone in the campground, then find something larger to accommodate a large group.
These are a few things to consider when looking for the best dutch ovens for your camping trips.
Here are some of the best cast iron dutch ovens for camping:
Overmont Pre-Seasoned Camp Dutch Oven & Skillet
The Overmont Dutch Oven is made of quality cast iron, without any toxic enamal coating. The legs on both the pot and lid allow the oven to sit easily over the campfire, plus the lid can be used as a skillet for frying, making this dutch oven a great all-round option.
It has a non-stick surface and can be used both on the stove and in the oven at home, and for campfire cooking in the outdoors.
Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet and Double Dutch Oven Set
This 2-in-1 double dutch oven set is perfect for your camp kitchen! Use the 5-quart pan and 10-inch skillet separately, or use the frying pan as a lid to create a 5-quart double
Dutch oven. Sear, fry, bake or grill anything indoors or outdoors. It is also safe to use on grills and induction stovetops!
Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven
This 6-quart Lodge cast iron Dutch Oven is a great option for campers. The cast iron dutch oven is great for those who are new to camping because the pot has a pre-seasoned surface that doesn’t require any extra work before use.
It is made from quality materials and has a durable design. The flanged lid holds hot coals, which flip over for griddling while the legs keep it at an ideal distance from the heat source.
Camp Dutch It also comes with the Oven Cooking 101 cookbook to help you prepare delicious meals on your next camping trip or backyard barbecue!
Easy Dutch Oven Camping Recipes
These easy dutch oven recipes for camping will keep you well-fed and happy, no matter what time of day. This collection of recipes is great to share with friends who are gearing up for their next camping trip.
You will find some of the best dutch oven recipes below and ideas on how to cook them outdoors when you don’t have access to electricity or a stovetop!
There are many benefits from cooking on cast iron, such as even heating, durability, and easy cleanup. Check out these dutch oven campfire recipes:
Dutch Oven Dinner Ideas
Dinner can be one of the hardest meals to plan when you’re camping. After a long day outside in the cold, we don’t want to cook up an elaborate meal that takes hours!
Especially if the sun is starting to go down and your daylight is limited. Yet we still want delicious recipes after a busy day outdoors.
That’s why these dutch oven dinner recipes are perfect for any hungry camper:
- Dutch Oven Zucchini Bread – Make delicious zucchini bread outdoors in a Dutch oven. The recipe includes instructions for getting just the right temperature!
- Dutch Oven Ribs – These Dutch Oven Ribs are tender, hearty and flavorful! They are fall off the bone delicious and this is an easy camping recipe to make.
- Campfire Beef Stew and Dumplings – This easy to make Campfire Beef Stew and Dumplings is made over the fire and is so easy, it’s a recipe you can teach your kids to help with for your camp trips.
- Dutch Oven Chicken and Vegetables – This Chicken & Veggies recipe is super easy to make. Just chop, layer, and bake for a delicious camping dinner meal of chicken thighs and vegetables!
- Beef Bourguignon (Beef Stew) – This is the best way to braise beef, in a Dutch oven over the campfire. This hearty recipe is smooth and full of flavour thanks to the red wine sauce for a hearty dish on a cool night.
- Pot Roast Leg Of Lamb – This simple recipe shows you how to cook a pot roast leg of lamb in a Dutch oven. A wonderful way to cook lamb – try it over the campfire. Wow! Such tender meat.
- Pot Roast With Carrots & Potatoes – This is the most tender braised pot roast you’ll ever eat. Set it up low and slow and forget about it while dinner cooks on autopilot. The perfect comfort food!
- Chicken Pot Pie – When planning dutch oven chicken recipes, you can’t forget the family favourite chicken pot pie! This is always a popular choice of one-pot meals for the whole family at home and away.
- Dutch Oven Lamb Shanks – Enjoy tender lamb shanks as a main course that melt off the bone with this recipe that is perfect for chilly nights by the campsite, with fresh herbs for added flavour.
- Dutch Oven Pork Chops – These stuffed pork chops are sure to be a popular dutch oven dinner recipe. with your favourite camping side dishes. It takes just 1 hour to cook.
- Campfire Nachos – Campfire dutch oven nachos are perfect for camping. Piled high with ground beef, cheese, onion, cilantro and avocado. Don’t forget the sour cream.
- Dutch Oven Chicken – Tender chicken breasts and caramelized onions bake under a buttery cracker topping for this easy and delicious main meal. It’s a great recipe for beginners at Dutch Oven cooking but it’s so good even seasoned pros will be proud to serve it.
- Dutch Oven Tex Mex Turkey Chili – This ground turkey chilli recipe is loaded with flavour and spice making it a great winter warmer for campfire cooking.
- Creamy Clam Chowder – You’re going to love this New England Clam Chowder. It’s bursting with seafood flavour and is perfect for a camping dinner or lunch or whenever you need a warm hearty meal. A great option if you’re looking for dutch oven soup recipes for your next trip.
- Dutch Oven Corned Beef – Dutch Oven Corned Beef is perfect for camping! The rich taste of corned beef with cabbage and potatoes is a winning combo!
- Southern Butter Beans – These Southern Butter Beans are a classic southern side dish that will pair perfectly with just about any meal. The smoky bacon flavour and Cajun spice mixed in gives them the perfect kick for every palate.
- Beef Dutch Oven Stew – Dutch oven stew with beef, potatoes, and vegetables is a feel-good comfort food everyone loves, soon to become a family favourite.
- Indian Style Dutch Oven Beef Stew – This Dutch Oven Beef Stew is a delicious and exciting take on a traditional beef stew. It’s incredibly easy to make and is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- Aussie Damper – This Aussie damper is a quick and easy soda bread that was eaten by people travelling in the Australian bush. Make in a Dutch oven on the coals of a campfire or on a stick for a fun treat with the kids.
- Brunswick Stew – The Southern-style Brunswick stew is a good use of leftovers, even on your camping trip. It’s a flavorful, budget-friendly and soul-warming soup with simple ingredients.
- Slow Roasted Basil Chicken Curry – This Roasted Basil Chicken Curry is prepared low and slow in a Dutch oven. Make it at the campsite for a meal that has lots of flavours.
- One-Pot-Mac – This creamy mac recipe is a great way to enjoy the family favourite when away from home, perfect for chilly days.
- Campfire Lasagna – When it comes to family favourite hearty meals, you can’t go past this amazing dutch oven recipe.
- Dutch Oven Whole Chicken – This great dutch oven recipe omes out moist and juicy every time.
- Campfire Enchiladas – These dutch oven enchiladas are filled with veggies, beans and canned crab (optional).
Vegan & Vegetarian Camping Dutch Oven Recipes
If you are looking for vegetarian or vegan dutch oven recipes, we have you covered too. These delicious dutch oven recipes are perfect options to try for meatless and vegan meals.
- Campfire Chili – This easy dutch oven recipe is a spicy vegan campfire chilli is made with beans, peppers, tomatoes, and a beer broth. It’s perfect for camping! Bring along some sourdough bread to serve alongside your chili recipes.
- Vegetarian Campfire Lasagna – This spinach vegetarian campfire lasagna is cooked in a cast-iron Dutch oven, and is perfect for camping meals and cookouts.
- Campfire Red Lentil Stew – This easy camping dutch oven red lentil stew is a hearty vegan meal that’s perfect for camp cooking.
- Dutch Oven Mac and Cheese – This meatless meal is always a favourite at home or in the great outdoors!
Dutch Oven Breakfast Recipes
These dutch oven breakfast recipes are the perfect way to start your day with a hearty meal that will fuel you up for all of your outdoor activities. And when you’re camping in winter. having a hot meal to warm you up before you get moving is always welcome on a camping trip!
- Dutch Oven Breakfast Bake – This breakfast bake makes the perfect family meal when camping or at home! Made with hash browns, egg, cheese, bell peppers and other simple ingredients. This is a simple hearty breakfast that takes minimal time to prep.
- Overnight Dutch Oven French Toast Casserole – This overnight dutch oven french toast casserole a perfect way of enjoying the favourite flavours of French toast, as an easy camping breakfast. Prep the night before then cook for 60 minutes over the coals when you wake up for a family favourite.
- Dutch Oven Banana Bread – This simple banana bread recipe in the dutch oven can go either way – dessert or breakfast, but one thing is for sure, it is delicious!
Find 40+ more easy camping breakfast ideas and recipes.
Dutch Oven Dessert Recipes
These dutch oven desserts for camping are perfect for a sweet ending to your camping meal. They are easy and delicious, so you don’t have to worry about preparing anything too complicated when you’re cooking up some dessert for the family or to share with friends.
- Dutch Oven Apple Crisp – Dutch oven apple crisp is a super easy recipe you can make ahead then bring along to cook on the campfire! This recipe is balanced with more apples than oat topping and is legit delicious served warm.
- Dutch Oven Pineapple Upside-Down Cake – Try the most delicious and easiest Pineapple Upside-down Cake – made in a Dutch oven! This recipe has been tested and approved by over 1000 happy campers! Bake up this almost fool-proof recipe on your next camping trip or in your own backyard at home.
- Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler – Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler is easy to make and delightfully delicious. It can be made with fresh or canned peaches. It makes a wonderful camping dessert or easy dessert at home.
- Dutch Oven Dump Cake – Dump cakes are simple to make in a Dutch Oven. Here is a recipe for classic cherry dump cake so you can enjoy dessert even when you are out in the great outdoors.
- Chocolate Cherry Lava Cake – Get the taste of chocolate-covered cherries in this amazing lava dump cake. Even people who don’t care for cherries will become fans with this sweet camping treat.
- Dutch Oven Cinnamon Rolls – Whether for dessert or a warm breakfast, with brown sugar filling, these cinnamon rolls are always an amazing recipe to enjoy.
- Dutch Oven Carrot Cake – This delicious cake recipe is made simple for outdoor cast iron camp cooking.
Dutch Oven Cookbooks
If you are looking for a cookbook for even more dutch oven campfire recipe ideas or for ways to use your dutch oven at home, check out these cookbooks:
The Dutch Oven Camping Cookbook
The ultimate camping cookbook is the perfect companion for preparing all your favourite hearty dishes outdoors. You’ll be able to try out new recipes and leave behind any worries about cooking on a camp stove or at an open fire!
Camping Cookbook: Dutch Oven Cast Iron Recipes
You won’t want to go on a camping trip without your cast iron Dutch oven! Especially once you’ve tried some of these simple and delicious camping recipes in your new favourite cookbook.
The 5-Ingredient Dutch Oven Cookbook: One Pot, 101 Easy Recipes
Dutch oven camping recipes are a great way to enjoy the outdoors while cooking your favourite meals. Try some of these easy dutch oven camping recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on your next family camping trip, as they are sure to be crowd-pleasers and keep everyone happily fed!
GRAB OUR MAMMOTH PRINTABLE CAMPING PLANNER TO TAKE THE STRESS OUT OF PLANNING YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE:
Save This To Pinterest For Your Next Camping Trip